Fishing for carp in the spring on ponds and rivers
Fishing for carp in spring is a kind of lottery. To get a lucky ticket, you need to appear on the reservoir at the right time. While the water is cold, you cannot count on the nibble of this heat-loving fish.
Temperature indicators greatly affect her appetite, so she will delight with the first bites only after the water warms up to 10-12 degrees. But lovers of carp fishing do not stop cold, because they have been waiting for this moment all winter. Avid carp anglers know that there are some exceptions to the warm water theory. For example, on bodies of water with a sandy bottom, carp do not hibernate, they can bite even in January, and they begin to feed actively in early spring. Scaly carps are the first to go in search of food. Mirrors love warmth more, they are in no hurry to leave the depths and begin to feed much later.
Where to catch carp in spring
It is clear that the shallow coastal zone is the first to warm up, so fishing for carp in early spring can allow you to catch a trophy near the coast. It is there that this fish rushes at the end of March and until the beginning of May. Here, in a well-heated shallow, she has the opportunity to prepare for spawning (to accelerate the ripening of eggs), and at the same time to refresh herself, recuperate after a long hunger strike. However, the appearance of the object of fishing in small areas does not mean that it will necessarily bite. It is possible that he pursues only one goal – to improve living conditions, so he came here exclusively for heat and oxygen.
Also, in early spring, carp are attracted by overgrown places in river bays and lakes. It can stay close to the wall of last year’s reeds or even go into the thick of dry plants. This choice is explained by the fact that after wintering, the fish has a need to clean the scales, free it from adhering parasites. In addition, the underwater parts of plants are always full of natural food – insects, larvae, worms, mollusks and other animals. In such places it is difficult to get close to a carp with a swing rod; at the slightest rustle or a quiet splash, it will move to a safe distance. Therefore, you should not strain him with your presence, it is better to try to get fish from the opposite bank by a match or to a feeder.
At the end of May, when the upper layers of the water are already well warmed up, the carp gradually moves away from the places of spring feeding and is distributed over the reservoir. The higher the temperature, the deeper it sinks. Finding him now becomes more difficult. At this time, deep snags and pits, the bottom of which is covered with shells, should be considered promising.
Fishing for carp in the spring on ponds, especially protected, not suffering from the outrage of poachers, can be very effective. Small carp ponds “wake up” earlier than rivers and large lakes. There are a lot of fish here and the competition makes it eat actively.
For most of the spring, carp prefers to stay close to a warm surface and during this period they do not offer much resistance when playing, so it would be wiser to hunt them with delicate float gear. It is better to opt for a Bolognese fishing rod, the versatility of which allows you to fish both near the shore and at some distance from it. It can consist of the following elements:
- Rod – carbon fiber telescope 5-8 meters long (the longer the blank, the further and more accurately you can throw the bait).
- Spinning reel with a low gear ratio, allowing you to quickly reel in the line and withdraw prey. It is advisable to adjust the friction brake in advance.
- Main line – monofilament or thin braid. Braid is poorly suited for Bolognese gear, but it has its advantages. You can use a cord that is an order of magnitude thinner than monofilament and not scare the carp, in addition, it is more reliable in terms of strength.
- Bite alarm – not too flashy float with a carrying capacity of 0.8 to 3 g. Given the spring caution of the object of fishing, it is better to refuse brightly colored models.
- Invisible in the water fluorocarbon leash, the length of which depends on the depth and the presence of a current in the place of fishing.
- Lead weights in the form of pellets.
- Hooks, made of high quality thick wire. Their size can vary from 6 to 12, but remember that a small hook is easier to disguise with bait. Fleshy lips will prevent the carp from spitting it out.
Bologna fishing rod equipment for spring carp fishing should be as light as possible. In the classic version, approximately 60% of the weight of the cut is fixed closer to the float, and the remaining 40% is carried along the line between the signaling device and the leader…
The weights are arranged in the form of an inverted pyramid: the lightest at the bottom, the heaviest at the top. With a properly loaded rig, only the antenna of the signaling device will stick out of the water. The most effective technique for Bolognese tackle is considered to be slow retrieving, in which the hook with the bait slowly crawls along the bottom surface. But you can go the other way: feed the point, throw the line and patiently wait for the fish to approach. Sometimes the carp rises to the surface of the water and gives out itself with a characteristic gurgle. It is unlikely that he will take the bait, slipped under his very nose, but still worth a try.
Fishing for carp in the spring on a feeder
Professional carp anglers use special tackle for carp fishing, while amateurs use a regular feeder. His hour comes closer to summer, when the object of catch moves away from the coast. Carp is one of the strongest inhabitants of the reservoir, so the choice of tackle should be approached responsibly. It must have special characteristics:
- Match rod 3-4 meters long, class Medium Heavy (test up to 100 g) or Heavy (test up to 120 g). For fishing in the current where conditions require the use of heavier feeders, an Extra Heavy rod with a test of more than 120 g is suitable.
- Inertia with a comfortable rear drag and a large spool (3000-4000).
- Monofilament line thickness starting from 0.25 mm. Due to the extensibility, the monofilament dampens the jerks of carp fighters who do not want to surrender to the angler. At the end of spring, the sensitivity for carp tackle is no longer so important, so the use of braids does not justify itself.
- Feeders: closed, spring, frame, flat. Each option has its own advantages. Closed is a cylinder dotted with small holes. It is intended for live feeding (bloodworms, cut worms, maggots), relevant at the beginning of the season. The standard groundbait is washed out of the spring faster, therefore the fish comes in earlier. Frame feeders are more suitable for fishing in the grass, thanks to the plastic wings, they slide between the plants. The flat method feeder with a flat weighted bottom allows you to successfully fish in heavily silted reservoirs. After casting, it goes down with a load, while the food is on top.
- Leashes with a diameter of 0.16-0.2 mm. Their length depends on the installation of the rig and the specific conditions of fishing.
- Hooks made of quality material, numbers 6 to 10. Necessarily sharp and hardened, soft hooks stubborn carp easily unbend.
Fishing for carp in the spring with a feeder does not exclude the use of any of the classic montages, but the sensitive paternoster has proven itself best.
In stagnant water, good results can be achieved with installation, in which short leashes are rigidly fixed on the feeder. It’s like catching a nipple.
In cold water conditions, the activity of carp is not up to par, it is possible to seduce it only with animal baits: maggot, dung worm.
As the temperature rises, you can try combining them with vegetable baits. These are barley, peas, corn, steamed wheat. It will be possible to completely switch to them in late spring, when the object of the catch begins to feed heavily. I must say that fishing for carp in the spring on ponds sometimes brings pleasant surprises – this fish already in April begins to take soft plant baits like a mastic or hominy.
Among the carp anglers, such bait as boilies is very popular, but in spring they are ineffective.
How to feed carp
The choice of bait should be approached very scrupulously, since the food activity of fish at this time of the year depends on many factors. First of all, these are water temperature and weather. You should not be zealous with the amount of feed. For example, in early spring, carp can easily be overfed with just a few balls or full feeders.
Fishermen have noticed that store-bought mixes designed for fishing in cold water work best in the spring. Their composition was developed by experts taking into account the seasonal preferences of the carp, its appetite and needs.
Despite the fairly high efficiency of branded baits, it still does not hurt to dilute them with a small amount of animal components (bloodworms, maggots, crushed worms or mollusks).
As for homemade food, prepared on the basis of cereals, a number of requirements are put forward to it. Namely:
- Colour – the groundbait should not contrast with the bottom soil;
- mandatory component – animal components;
- freshness – to attract carp, however, like all other fish, the necessary fresh mixture (it is advisable to prepare it in the evening on the eve of fishing).
To enhance the smell, it is better to use natural flavors – makuha, cinnamon, garlic, ginger and others. Synthetic counterparts in cold water are practically useless and can even have the opposite effect.
It is not enough to make a good bait, you need to be able to use it correctly, especially in spring. Otherwise, it will not increase the number of bites, but, on the contrary, turn fishing into an empty and boring activity. If fishing with a float rod is planned, then several medium-sized balls (3-5 pieces) are thrown into the promising point. They must withstand impact on water, sink entirely to the bottom and slowly disintegrate, creating a stern spot. After starting feeding, you can safely prepare tackle and equip a place on the shore. The feeder trough should be filled as follows: half-fill with feed, put in some livestock and fill the remaining space with bait.
Fishing for carp in the spring is not always effective, even with experienced fishermen. The reason is the capriciousness of this heat-loving fish in cold weather. Do not be upset if you did not manage to see a single bite. The season is just beginning, everything is still ahead.