Ice jigs for roach for winter fishing – the best 10
Among the fishing fraternity, disputes do not stop about which jig is better for fishing roach from the ice. Some argue that this is a Uralochka, others successfully catch on drop-shaped products, and still others are quite satisfied with a tablet (Tula washer). In fact, there is no magic bait, and the result largely depends on how correctly the fishing spot is chosen, how the tackle is assembled and what technique or techniques the angler has.
Even the most expensive jig will be powerless if the fisherman does not know how to handle it. In addition, roach is a rather capricious fish, especially this quality manifests itself in the cold season. Her preferences may change throughout the day, therefore, it is necessary to take several different models for fishing and select a catchy one experimentally. What ice jigs for roach for winter fishing should be in the arsenal? How to choose from the huge variety offered today in fishing shops, exactly those that are sharpened for catching this fish?
Main selection criteria
Experienced anglers who have lifted hundreds of weighty roachs on the ice know exactly what they need. Newcomers, on the other hand, run up their eyes from a variegated assortment, and cunning sellers successfully use this and sniff out what they could not sell in previous seasons. Therefore, you need to choose yourself, taking into account the anatomical structure of the mouth of the object of fishing, the features of its behavior in the cold season and the conditions in which fishing will take place.
Ice jigs for roach for winter fishing must have the following characteristics:
- The form determines the method of fishing. According to this parameter, all jigs are divided into two categories: attachment and non-attachment. The first ones have a simple form in the form of a pellet or a drop, are used in combination with bait and perform the function of delivering it to the desired horizon. They have proven themselves well in fishing for roach and many other peaceful species. The rewoundless ones outwardly resemble one or another food object, and with a sufficiently high activity, fish are perfectly caught without a bloodworm or maggot, therefore they are called that. In addition to the peculiar shape of the body, colored cambrics, beads, rings and other “decorations” give them even greater similarity with underwater animals. If the animation is correct, the roach willingly “sits” on the bare hooks of the non-attachment jigs.
- Weight is selected depending on the depth and strength of the water flow in the selected place. You should be aware that the mass of the bait affects the operation of such an important element of the tackle as the nod, so it is selected separately for each model. It is desirable to adjust the bite alarm at home, in the cold it is not very convenient to do this. The approximate weight to depth ratio is shown in the table below.
Depth Bait weight up to 2 meters 0.3-0.5 g from 2 to 4 meters 0.5-1 g from 4 to 5 meters 1-1.2 g over 5 meters 1.2-1.5 g
There are jigs, the mass of which exceeds 40 g (for angling burbot and other large predators), but you definitely cannot catch roach on such super-heavy products, so we will not focus on them.
- Manufacturing material may be different. By using alloys of different densities, manufacturers have the opportunity to experiment with the volume and weight of their products. Lead is a traditional material – a cheap low-melting metal, the jigs from which perform well at medium depths. Tungsten, with a small volume, have a decent mass (tungsten is one of the heaviest metals), so they quickly sink to the bottom. It is good to catch roach like this in the current and at great depth. For fishing in calm shallow waters, jigs made of tin are suitable. The working depth of such models is 0.5-2 meters. By the way, tin bait can be made at home in just a couple of minutes. To do this, thread a sewing needle (or pin) into the eye of a suitable hook, solder a drop of tin, wait until the molten metal has cooled, and pull out the needle. If desired, the shape of the homemade product can be changed using a file.
- Lure color also plays an important role in roach fishing. It is noticed that in most bodies of water this fish prefers golden and silver shades, reacts well to dark red (under bloodworms) and bronze. Sometimes completely unexpected colors “shoot out”: rich yellow, dirty green, orange. According to long-term observations of lovers of ice fishing for roach on cloudy days, light colors are more effective, and in clear sunny weather, dark lures should be preferred.
- Additional elements allow several times to increase the catchability of rewinder jigs. Pieces of colored insulation of electrical wires (cambric), all kinds of beads and beads, bright threads and even chains are usually used as an attractive decoration. For example, if you put a pair of red beads on the shank of the hook, the bait will become much more interesting for the fish. The attractiveness is enhanced not only by the color of the beads, but also by the vibrations they create as they move along the forend during play.
There are no super catchy jigs. Any model that the fisherman learns to use correctly can become a worker, so the arsenal should have several types of winter lures of different shapes, colors and weights, always with sharp, tenacious hooks, so that you don’t have to bite your elbows because of annoying gatherings. Everything else depends solely on the angler himself, his experience and skills. The method of feeding the bait influences the result most of all.
Technique for catching roach in winter with a jig
For those who are going to catch this fish for the first time in winter, have already bought several jigs, but still do not know how to use them, we will list several animation options that can provoke her to bite.
So, fishing for roach in winter with a jig involves several techniques:
- Rise with hesitation… First, the bait is lowered to the bottom surface, and then they begin to slowly and evenly raise it with low-amplitude twitching of the nod. After every 20 cm, there is a pause of about 2-3 seconds.
- Rise without hesitation… This wiring is similar to the previous one with the only difference – the jig is simply raised smoothly without hesitation, but with the same stops.
- Wiring down… The jig, raised to a height of 1 meter, is slowly lowered to the bottom with low-amplitude oscillations and pauses. In the same way as in the first version, only in the opposite direction.
- Hitting the bottom… The bait is raised above the ground by 3 centimeters and the rod is sharply lowered so that it quickly falls to the bottom and picks up a cloudy cloud. Reception is repeated several times, after which they stop it at the top point and wait for a while. If the roach is nearby, she will certainly be interested in the bloodworm, which is so active.
Unlike perch, roach does not always stay in the bottom horizon; it can be 2 meters above the bottom surface, and sometimes even under the ice itself. Therefore, if there are no bites, provided that a promising place is chosen, it makes sense to beat the entire vertical.
The most catchy jigs for roach in winter – TOP 10
Let us list the best jig for roach in winter, which can be used to catch roach throughout the entire period. In the right hands, they are effective even in the midst of deafness.
- Pellet – a classic bait jig, also known in some regions as a ball. It is made from different alloys, which allows you to choose the color and weight for specific fishing conditions. The lightest pellets weigh only 0.1 g, so they are often suspended on additional leashes above the main heavier bait. It turns out a garland, which can be used to fish several horizons at once.
- Droplet – another option used in combination with a live attachment. Popular with winter fishermen for many years. Still, this universal jig catches almost everything, including roach. Moreover, in a variety of conditions. Today, probably, there is no such angler who does not have at least one drop in the box.
- Oatmeal – a miniature bait with an elongated body that looks like a grain of grain. It is not known who and when ranked her as a perch, but there is no doubt that this person was wrong. When a flock of roach comes under the hole, a skilled fisherman will lift at least ten individuals onto the ice with the help of buntings. Moreover, her small volume and weight do not at all indicate the size of the fish she catches. A trifle, of course, also comes across, where without it, but often decent specimens weighing 300-400 g sit down.
- Crystal – a polyhedron jig that spreads an attractive shine in all directions. Its reflections are hard to miss even in the dense vegetation at the bottom. That is why such a bait is best used on a sunny day, after having previously polished its edges with GOI paste. As practice has shown, not only predators, but also peaceful species are susceptible to shine. Large roach is no exception.
- Washer (lentil) – is made by Tula craftsmen from heavy turned tungsten, the density of which is 18g / cm3. Its catchability has long been appreciated by most anglers, although at first the thick disk shape did not inspire confidence in them. Gradually, the puck proved its right to exist. She catches regularly, often helps out in those moments when the fish is very passive. Some fans of this jig say that the concept of “deafness” does not exist with it.
- Banana – a very popular bait among lovers of roach fishing. It shows itself perfectly in stagnant water and on a small stream. The working depth range is from 1 to 5 meters. It is considered a nozzle, it catches by playing, but in the middle of winter it is better to use it with a nozzle: bloodworm, mayfly larva, maggot and even dough. Available in different colors. For fishing peaceful fish, in particular roach, it is better to choose a natural color, for example, gray.
- Ant – a jig with a segmented body, similar to the insect of the same name. On sale there are models with 2 and 3 segments, with an even and slightly flattened body, in different sizes and shades. You can catch an ant with a live bait or use it as a rewinder, decorating the forearm with bright beads, a ringlet or cambric. This lure demonstrates the greatest efficiency in relation to roach at the very end of the season, on the last ice.
- Nymph – looks like a drop, but has a completely different game. This is a successful imitation of a spring moth larva, copying the movements of its prototype in the water column. The roach reacts best to it with slow wiring without excessively sharp fluctuations. For greater attractiveness, this bezel is equipped with woolen threads, bunches of fur, insect paws.
- Goat – a jig with two soldered hooks, which significantly increases the implementation of bites. For fishing roach, a goat weighing from 0.3 to 0.6 g is most often used. The body of such a bait is straight or slightly curved; in stores you can buy a two-color version. For example, the inside is colored gold and the outside is dark. During posting, it shimmers, provoking curious fish to bite.
- Devil – the classic of snub fishing. The main difference from other models is the larger number of hooks. There can be three or four of them. In the water it occupies a vertical position, imitating the amphipods. Fishing with a devil means constantly moving around the body of water in order to find active fish. At great depths, it is advisable to fish with a garland made up of several devils. Such equipment is considered to be one of the most effective in the field of ice fishing.
As you can see, you can successfully catch roach using a variety of jigs, the main thing is to find a fish camp and correctly apply the bait, and sometimes winter bait is also used to collect fish in advance at one point. An experienced fisherman will catch even with a primitive home-made product, whipped up right on the pond. It is simple to make it, you just need to squeeze the hook with a lead pellet, first bending the eyelet towards the sting. The bend is necessary in order for the jig to take the correct position in the water.